Waltham Abbey to Broxbourne

The Royal Gunpowder Mills at Waltham Abbey is one of the most significant former industrial sites in the Lea Valley. Its history goes back over 300 years, having been built on the site of a fulling mill established in the 16th century by the Abbey monks. The manufacture of gunpowder dates from the late-17th century and the site was acquired by the Crown in 1787. Gunpowder was transported via the Lea and Thames to the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich.


 5040020 RT

2015. Although now a heritage site open to the public, many of the former Royal Gunpowder Mills buildings remain derelict.



 5040031

2015. WW2 battle re-enactors at the Royal Gunpowder Mills.


Much of the land bordering the Lea and Lee Navigation from Waltham Abbey north towards Broxbourne is owned by the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority. It contains several lakes and reservoirs, formed as a result of industrial sand and gravel extraction, together with various water-based recreational facilities such as a White Water Centre. The east side of the valley was, and remains, a centre for the 'glasshouse industry', where 'salad' vegetables, such as cucumbers and peppers, are grown on a large scale.


 A230027-31 (2.5x1)

2018. View north from Trinity Lane, Waltham Cross, towards Bowyer's Water.



 A230037

2018. Lockeepers house, Waltham Common Lock, Lee Navigation.



NBX 062 01

2017. Waltham Common Lock, Lee Navigation.



 A230041

2018. Lee Navigation near Windmill Lane, Cheshunt.



 A230011

2018. Unidentified structure, Bowyer's Water, a former gravel pit.



 A230054

2018. Another derelict structure at Bowyer's Water.



 4020017-21 (2.5x1)

2017. View south from Fishers Green Lane.



 8030047

2017. Electricity sub-station 'hidden' between the River Lea and Lee Navigation at Fishers Green.


 8040077

2017. Kings Weir, Lee Navigation near Turnford.



 8040098

2017. Lee Navigation at Kings Weir.



 8040066

2017. Holyfield Lake



 A030013

2018. Footbridge over the branch of the River Lea that fed Broxbourne Old Mill.



 8040055

2017. Lee Valley Boat Centre, Broxbourne.



2017. Remains of Broxbourne Old Mill. There has been a mill on this site for at least 900 years.



 8040018

2017. Preserved remains of James Pulham & Son's terracotta and artificial stone ('Pelhamite') factory at Broxbourne. The firm produced a wide range of high-quality, classically designed garden ornaments.



 A030030

2018. Brick bridge (1908) carrying Nazeing New Road over the London-Cambridge railway and the New River.



 A030047

2018. Broxbourne Pumping Station (1886, Grade 2 listed) on the New River.



 A260007

 2018. Glasshouses on Dobbs Weir Road, Broxbourne.                                                                                       


                                                                                             More images











    © Mike Seaborne 2017